Sunday, March 22, 2015

Starting Big

I am on a roll with my new purging and simifying journey. When I look at the work cut out for me I feel a little overwhelmed but I am determined. Today I began to tackle this:

The storage shed
This is the stuff I had already taken out before taking the above photo.

Over the cold Winter we never took the time to put things back where they belong so before today we had to climb over stuff and couldn't find anything half the time. From what I have been reading, it is best to start on the least cluttered space in your home, build momentum with small successes and ride that throughout the rest of your home until you've conquered the most cluttered space. Very similar to Dave Ramsey's debt snowball actually... My problem is that I have smaller projects (like putting away all of our baby gear, the boys' next clothing swap, etc) that I couldn't do with our shed being so unorganized. So I started big. 

Of course with David over working on the house today, and with two kids to take care of, this task that could have taken just a couple of hours is going to take me days. While working off and on today I got most of the stuff cleared out of the bottom (there are two "loft" areas as well) and filled several large Goodwill/women's shelter boxes in the process. There were some easy tosses like the electric knife that we got as a wedding gift that we have NEVER used. Hopefully someone will love finding the gem of a brand new electric knife while out thrifting.  I hope they carve their Thanksgiving turkey with it! There were also a few items that were hard to toss into those boxes, one of which a perfectly beautiful shadow box, but I have had it for years and don't have a plan for it anymore so away it must go. Somewhere down the road, if I decide we need a shadow box, I'll just find a new one. This is an example of how strict I am being with myself in preparation for what goes into our new house. 

"Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be beautiful or believe to be useful."  - William Morris

As far as our shed organizational systems failing over Winter, I'm not going to worry about it because if all goes well we will be in our house and will have our basement for next Winter. Not having to pull out a ladder or freeze to death in order to put things where they belong will work wonders for us. I am getting really excited!

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Gloriously Boring"
Two years ago today: "Toddler Land"
And three years ago today: "Feeling Good"

Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

2 comments:

  1. I started spring cleaning on Monday, but we all caught a stomach bug and I spent all week caring for my family before I finally came down with the bug myself. Now that I am on the mend, I hope to get moving on my purge projects! Nice work on yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started spring cleaning small with my laundry are and then moved to my kitchen which ended up turning into a kitchen renovation! So I think I may be in a little over my head at this point, but I just got to keep the end goal in mind! :) I am like you on purging mode so I hope to declutter every room before summer!

    ReplyDelete