Saturday, February 21, 2015

Good Reads

Every time I saw or read something worth sharing over the last couple of weeks I copied and pasted the link for it into a draft post in hope to collect enough to share them with you guys.  Some of them are just good reminders that I have seen (and possibly even shared) in the past.  Some of them are enlightening or just encouraging. I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of them and I hope they can bring you inspiration too!

A motto I am going to *try* my hardest to adopt in an effort to acquire less and save money for decorating our new home!  I found this photo in this blog post which is also a good read.

The Most Powerful Thing You Can Say To Another Mom

This video below is hilarious but gave me goosebumps by the end.  We are all different mothers/parents but at the core we have something VERY similar in common.  We all LOVE our babies. That alone makes us more alike than any of us realize.


My midwife linked this up on Facebook recently and it could be a good read for anyone who desperately wants to succeed at breastfeeding: The Slippery Slope of Supplementing




How To Be A Calm Parent


~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Name Hunting"
Two years ago today: "Snug As A Bug"
And three years ago today: "Early To Bed"

Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

4 comments:

  1. I loved all of these. The video brought me to tears when I saw it. I am sentimental when it comes to people finding a commonality and connection. The last quote struck me so deeply. I never thought about it, but my mom was highly critical of me as a kid and I am now super critical of myself. I try so hard to take a different approach with my kids because I would hope they would never think of themselves the way I think and speak to myself. Very good list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love sharing good reads when I find them. So glad you enjoyed. I try to remind myself of that quote often, especially on my most exasperated days. Then I also remind myself that I am human and can only take so much then give myself some grace. <3

      Delete
  2. Sarah, I wanted to thank you for sharing your breastfeeding journey with both Ayden and Logan. It was because I followed your journey with Ayden that I was determined to try so hard with breastfeeding my little girl who was born on the same day as Logan. I was unfortunately unsuccessful (insufficient glandular tissue), but it was your inspiration that made me try SO HARD (I'm talking pumping after feeding every 2 hours 24/7 for almost 4 months, supplements, nurse-ins, domperidone - an expensive prescription drug considered the mother of lactation drugs)... honestly, I made myself a little crazy and I felt so depressed when I didn't succeed and finally had to make the devastating decision to switch to formula. Nonetheless, I no longer feel guilt since I know for a fact that I did everything I possibly could - really, it's thanks to your inspiration that my baby girl got three full months of momma's milk. I treasure the experiences I had with nursing her. I'm still a staunch supporter of breastfeeding, though perhaps I'm now a little more tolerant and understanding of the occasional need for formula. After my decision, I had to remove people from my social media who insisted on attacking and guilting mothers who formula-feed, which while it's wonderful that breastfeeding is becoming more normalized, it's still awful that these "mommy wars" still exist. I truly believe that we are all trying to do the best for our babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Megan, thank you for sharing your story. It means so much to me that I could offer any sort of inspiration or support. We actually have a lot in common here. During my home birth attempt with Ayden I ended up transporting, getting an epideral AND pitocin (both of which I had said I would "never" get). When it was all over I was surprisingly at peace with it all. It was because I knew that I tried my best and, though we never experienced an emergency, the reality was that my body was giving out after laboring for so long and those interventions probably saved our lives. There is a time when ALL of these things may be necessary and those instances are what birth interventions, formula, antibiotics, etc. were made for. You sound like such an amazing mother and you are an inspiration yourself for working so hard to provide all that you could for your sweet baby.

      Delete