Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Toddler Tuesday: Cork Sail Boats

It's been a while since I have made a Toddler Tuesday post so I thought I'd put forth a little effort and bring them back to life!  This week we made cork sail boats. 





These were something I saw on Pinterest forever ago and tucked it away in the back of my mind.  When I went back to find how these Pinterest folks made these, my pin went to the image address rather than an actual post or website with instructions so I went by the picture and winged it.  I haven't had wine since before I was pregnant with Ayden, and David doesn't really like it, so we don't any have corks lying around.  My parents on the other hand have quite the collection (see the gift I made for my mom out of some of her special occasion corks in this post).  Once I remembered to grab a few during a visit, I was pretty sure we had everything we needed for making this fun activity:

corks (3 per boat)
wooden kabob skewer
rubber bands (2 per boat)
foam sheets (I used foam eggs leftover from Easter crafts)

scissors
utility cutters (something that will cut the wooden skewers)

Once I had all of the supplies gathered these seriously took less than 10 minutes to assemble.


Rubber band your corks together.

Cut out your sail(s)

Cut your mast 

Pike your mast through your sail.
In one side and out the other, leaving a slight curve.

Poke the mast through the middle cork and you're done!

Easy peasy and FREE!

We made three.
We had plans to go to my parents house this evening while they were babysitting my niece and nephew so I thought we could take these along and have enough for all three kids.  We ended up staying home instead but Ayden didn't mind!



It was a win!
He really liked it when I would gently blow on the sails and make the boats coast across the water.  He was a little young to get the concept of where to blow to make them move but that means I can put these into our toy rotation and soon enough when they make it back out he'll be able to play with them in a whole new way.  Tonight his exploration was more about sink/float and how the corks needed to be lined up with the sails straight up for them to stay upright.  He's always loved any kind of water play so these may make it into our bath toy collection as well. 

Has anyone else made these?  Were they a win in your house too??

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Head Over Heels"
And two years ago today: "Pajama Day"



Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! They were really fun to play with too. I think I enjoyed it as much as Ayden. :)

    ReplyDelete