Monday, September 30, 2013

Growing Independence


We are finally crossing into territory where Ayden does things for a purpose rather than for pure curiosity or exploration. In other words, he is beginning to gain his independence. If he spills something, he'll get a towel and wipe it up (or kind of smear it around but at least he tries). He's learned how to use my old 1st generation iPod Nano and listens to music on his own a lot. When I told him that Polly (our cat) licks herself to take a bath he went running into the bathroom, turned on the water in the bathtub and tried to climb in clothes and all. 

Starting to *try* to take care of himself.
After bath time, he was still nakey and reading books next to his potty while I was getting myself ready. All of the sudden, he sat on the potty and after just a couple of seconds he hopped up and yelled, "I poo poo!" I figured he had just peed since he has never gone #2 in the potty but low and behold he had!


He was so proud and I was too!! All of our potty books seem to be helping.  He has been so fascinated with them.  I guess he has been taking notes...

We ended our evening at my nephew's soccer game (he is 3) and dinner with my folks. Ayden was so excited at the game and I had a hard time keeping him off the field. 


Luckily the coach had an extra soccer ball so we were able to have our own game on the sidelines.


It was a big day for our little man.  He asked about Daddy a few times and got to talk to him on speaker phone before we drove home from dinner.  He told him about the crickets we found in the driveway today, his potty adventure and said I love you in the sweetest, quietest voice.  He fell asleep on the way home and didn't even wake up when I brought him in to lay him down in bed. I have a lot planned around the house tomorrow. Hopefully I can make it a productive day since today was focused more on fun! 

Isn't it interesting that when you sit down and think about your to do's they seem so doable and important but when it comes down to it, playing, cuddling and having dance parties almost always win out?  When we look back on this season of our lives, we will never wish we had done more dishes or folded more clothes.  Making the to do list makes me feel good.  If I cross stuff off tomorrow, great.  If we play all day again, that will be even better!  We will see what Ayden is up for.

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Fairy Princess Party"

Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for your potty success. Sounds like he's growing into quite the little man. My Ax loves soccer. My oldest daughter plays and everytime we go to a game he says He is going to play Soccer when he gets bigger!

    ReplyDelete