Thursday, May 30, 2013

Summer Routines

It is officially getting hot here in the Bluegrass. It is still a pleasant hot, though. We have very humid summers and the humidity isn't too bad yet. That means that you might break a sweat in the sun but can relax comfortably in the shade. Especially if there is a breeze! That is perfect summer weather in my opinion. 

I mentioned in my last "5 Happy Things" post that we were enjoying a lot of park time. We plan to run a 5k later this summer so I am doing the 5k101 training program. It is an 8 week program and I am almost done with week 2. The program has been pretty easy on me so far but I am enjoying the structure and hope it will help me with my time at the race this year. I had an iTunes gift card so I went ahead and purchased the $4.99 5k101 App so that I can listen to my own music or podcast while I run. There is a free App, though, that just has generic motivating music in the background that isn't too bad. If I didn't have that gift card I would have just went with it. 

With this program, you are supposed to run 3 times a week. I've been taking Ayden to various parks that have trails right around nap time. He falls asleep while I am running then when i'm done, I park him in the shade, spread out a blanket, kick off my shoes and read. It is amazing!  I have no idea why I never put forth the effort to do this sooner. 

Today was errand day so I wore my running clothes out and about. I don't typically do that sort of thing but it's working for me. I just don't care enough to worry about finding a place to change at some point during such a busy day.  After story time, we grabbed a salad from Whole Foods and took it to the park for a picnic before our run. 



I had a great run, Ayden had a great nap:


And I got in some great reading time. I even put my phone on silent and made sure I didn't jump to check it for every little vibration. When Ayden woke up, he went down the slide at the park a few times (his current favorite thing to do at the park) and then we finished our errands. 

When I got home, I did all kinds of snack prep and made dinner (well, roasted some veggies to go with the rotisserie chicken that I picked up at the grocery) while David and Ayden played outside.

It seems that the warmer weather and longer days are doing wonderful things for our routine and overall moods. I think, now that we have a young child, that I definitely don't enjoy winter once the holidays are over as much as I used to. Yay for the arrival of summer!  We can't wait to make the most of it!!

How does your routine change in the summer months?

~Sarah


Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment