Monday, April 15, 2013

Memory Lane

Another beautiful day!
There's just something about old toys that new toys are missing. Even new toys without bells and whistles still don't have the same charm and character as good old fashioned toys. When Ayden was around 6 or 7 months old, my mom gave me an old metal top to give to Ayden. He loved it! It is packed away somewhere from the move (David's parent's house I think?) or I'd post a picture of it. It is yellow and white with circus animals and clowns on it. It has a red wooden knob on the top and makes very satisfying metallic clanking noises when you stop it from spinning. I'll need to get I back out next time we are visiting at Grandma and Grandpa's house so Ayden can discover it in a whole new way...

Ayden has been really loving his little red wagon and, though he fits in it perfectly, it's really sized for him to pull it rather than ride in it himself. There isn't any room for anything else, unless he holds it in his lap, and the handle is short so we have to walk all wonky when we pull him in it. We were searching for a ball in my parents' garage this afternoon and found this beauty:

My sisters and my old Radio Flyer
I have a lot of memories with that wagon in them and it was awesome to see Ayden happily riding around in it too. This brings a question to mind: How do we know what to keep and what to get rid of? We are on a quest to downsize and simplify but how do you make sure you get rid of all our clutter while remembering to keep gems that will be timeless heirlooms?

What is your rule for knowing what to keep and what to pass on for another child to love? I hope Ayden can have the joy of watching his children play with a favorite toy from his childhood so he can take the future on a trip down memory lane.  That is how I feel when I see him playing with things from my past. It's pretty magical stuff.


~Sarah








3 comments:

  1. I can be sort of all or nothing with some things and this is one of those things. I also wonder if they toys he has are worthy of being saved for his future children and if so what I'm supposed to do with them in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great wagon. I love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After catching up on both yours and David's blogs I think you both have already found the perfect name for your new farm. 'Memory Lane' Farmstead. What a wonderful journey Sarah, past, present and future! all the very best laura. x

    ReplyDelete