Saturday, April 13, 2013

Coughing Fits

Ayden has had a clear, runny nose off and on since New Year's.  Sometimes it's gotten worse to a full blown cold, others times it has cleared up completely only to return again.  We have been doing immune support supplements in smoothies and he still nurses but we just can't seem to get him to 100%.  We are thinking it has to do with this crazy fluctuating Kentucky weather and possibly some allergies.  Luckily, it doesn't seem to effect his mood much but, as usual, it gets worse at night.


Last night was by far the worst night we've had, illness wise, so far.  He slept like a champ from 9pm to around 3am.  Then we were up for two hours with him.  He was coughing his little head off and even got the point a couple of times where he borderline spit up/threw up milk from his last nursing session (the amount was like throw up, the smell was like spit up... just milk).  The cough is a dry cough and seemed to be the kind where you have drainage that gives you a tickle and no matter what you do, you can't stop coughing.  Night time parenting has always been an interesting experience for me.  I always feel bad for Ayden because he can't sleep, can't stop coughing, etc. but at the same time I am so exhausted and just want the problem fixed so we can all go back to sleep. I nurse him, rock him, sing to him, give him natural treatments for whatever ailment he is experiencing. Somehow today, despite our 2 hour coughing party in the wee hours of the morning, I felt great all day. We had a family errand day. We got paint for our beehives, stopped by our storage unit and played at the park.


After dinner we parted ways. David and Ayden went to David's parents' house for a visit while my mom and I went to a bridal shower. I missed my boys but it was fun to have some girl time.

We are going into tonight with only 1 dose of Hyland's cough syrup left so I think I'm going to make a batch of honey-based homemade cough syrup just in case we need it. Though I'd love to sleep through the night, I have a feeling we'll have the opportunity to try it out. If we do, I will share the recipe I use along with a review!

What's your go to natural cough remedy? Any natural tips for keeping a runny nose at bay?

~Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Do you think it could be asthma? I have a friend who's child had what you're describing going on for awhile and they finally figured it out. It kept her awake a lot and she was just coughing a lot at night (and sometimes almost threw up from it).

    Poor little guy! Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son gets sick a lot. Mostly due to allergies and then he needs an inhaler to breathe.
    To help with coughing I generously rubbed vicks vapor rub on the bottom of his feet and cover with socks and he sleeps all night without coughing like crazy! it's worth a try! If you want something that works the same but is more natural use Eucalyptus Oil.

    ReplyDelete