Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Food: Flop and New Fave

Today was busy but pretty uneventful compared to yesterday. Our day consisted of another pet talk, lunch, nap (while I put dinner in the crockpot), and dance. Time passed very quickly and I am LOVING the longer daylight hours. I hate losing that hour for daylight savings but love that it is still bright in the evenings afterward. I also love that "springing forward" signifies that my favorite Season is upon us.

Getting more and more social all the time!
He is also getting really good at keeping himself VERY entertained while I teach.
I try at least one new recipe every week and usually get pretty lucky in terms of us liking them. This week I had two newbies on the menu. One was last night's which was a chicken zucchini "alfredo" that ended up being a total flop. The base of the sauce was a cauliflower and parsnip purée. We love both cauliflower and parsnips but the sauce seemed a bit TOO parsnippity for our taste (I can make up my own words on my own blog, right?). Parsnips are so sweet and there wasn't anything super savory to offset their distinct flavor. We ended up throwing our leftovers of the sauce out and using regular spaghetti sauce for our lunches today. The other new recipe was tonight's dinner. It was a sausage and sauerkraut crock pot meal and was a great success! It was SUPER easy, it only had three ingredients, and everyone loved it. We paired it with a salad of mixed greens tossed with a sweet strawberry balsamic vinaigrette which offset the tanginess of the kraut very nicely. I knew that I liked sauerkraut but it was both David's and Ayden's first time eating it. David tasted it and said, "If this is what it has always tasted like then I've been missing out!" He thought it would taste as it smells but that is not the case with sauerkraut. It will definitely be added to our meal rotation.

What is your go to crock pot meal? Do you use yours regularly? It is a big time life saver for us on Wednesday nights!

~Sarah




2 comments:

  1. What strawberry balsamic vinaigrette do you use? I have trouble finding paleo dressings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crock pot. I make a paleo Mexican chicken that is a biweekly fav

    ReplyDelete