Monday, December 10, 2012

Little Pretender

It seems as though the closer we get to the 1 year mark, the more of a little person Ayden becomes. I don't mean this in the literal sense of the word, because he's obviously always been a person. What I mean is during the past couple of weeks he has started doing things appropriately, for lack of a better way to describe it... If he finds his brush, or mine for that matter, he'll pretend to brush his hair. If he gets his hands on any iPhone he'll hold it up to his "ear" which is actually closer to the side of his neck. He put a hat on his own head today and tonight at dinner he was trying to hold his spoon in his hand like we do, as opposed to using his entire fist to grasp it. He also LOVES sitting on the couch. The funniest part of all of these is that he has picked them up through experience and observation. Whenever we had someone talk to him on the phone we put it on speaker so the only way he'd know to put it up to his ear is by seeing us do it. Same with the spoon since we never tired to change his grasp. As for the hair brush, he's seen me brush my own hair and has had me brush what little he has after his bath every night and I suppose that was enough for him to know what it's for once he gets his hands on them.
Checking E-mails  and turning our lights on and off.
He uses his middle finger to push buttons, point and feel things.  Too funny!
He is also starting to give hugs and kisses as well as wanting to hold our fingers while he guides us around the house. His steps are so tiny that it takes a while to get to his destination, which is usually around the pet crates. He even threw a bit of a fit today when we were walking somewhere and I slid my finger out of his grasp. He sat down and cried (a real cry, tears and all) while reaching for me. I said, "I'm sorry buddy, I should have told you I was going to let go" and reached down to hug him and he didn't want a hug. He reached for my finger, stopped crying and was leading me around again. It is super cute but our house isn't that exciting to circle over and over again. I suppose we just need to challenge ourselves to see it through his eyes.

A child's job is to play and pretend to be a grown up so that when they actually are one, they will hopefully have enough figured out to be a productive member of society. It is crazy that we start seeing children do as we do as young as 10.5 months. Let this be a lesson to us all, there are little eyes everywhere. Lets be the people we want them to grow up to be!

~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so fun watching them learn and grow? It's such an amazing process!

    ReplyDelete