Saturday, June 23, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

We had an easy day today.

 

We woke at 7:30 as usual and had housework on the agenda. We're a little concerned that our veggie plants aren't happy in their pot homes so David promptly got to work on digging up our yard.

Soon to be veggie garden!
I got Ayden down for his morning nap and then got to work on my usual morning routine (making the bed, getting myself ready, unloading the dishwasher, etc).

He only slept for about 40 minutes so I decided to make sure his early afternoon would actually be worth something. I needed some rest too so I napped with him for a full hour and a half. It was glorious! I had dreams and everything (not something I'm aware of having in the night). Ayden's bedtime has been getting later and later since recital. We were okay with it moving to 8 or 8:30 but when he didn't get sleepy until 10 last night we decided we needed to get him moving back toward an earlier bedtime.

Ayden always has his best naps when I sleep with him and lately it has just worked best with my schedule to join him for his late afternoon nap. I think him sleeping for an hour and a half to two hours so close to his old bedtime was giving him the energy to party into the night. I proved this theory right today. He took that monster nap with me around 1:30 then just a cat nap while we were at the grocery around 4:30 and then he was ready to go to sleep for the night at 7:30. It's great that as easy as it was to get him off of his routine, it seems to have been just as easy to get him back on.

 

After the grocery, I packed Ayden up and took him to a little get together. The Kindergarten team I used to belong to when I taught was so kind to invite me to join them and it was great to catch up with everyone.

Ayden fell asleep while we were there and since he'd been wanting to go to bed later, I wasn't prepared with his nighttime diaper or PJs for the first time in a while. When we got home, he woke up and started crying so I changed him as quickly as I could, nursed him back to sleep and put him in his crib.

My family reunion is coming up the weekend after the fourth and we always camp out for it. To prepare, we plan on camping out in our back yard tonight so we can work out any kinks with Ayden or otherwise while we have the convenience of our house nearby. We practiced once before and though I didn't sleep at all (I was up worrying about whether or not Ayden was warm enough), Ayden did great! I'm hoping that since it's warmer and that Ayden is older (less suffocation risk) that I'll sleep better this time around. Our friends joined us for dinner and a bon fire and just left so we'll find out soon enough!


~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment