Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Conversation Starters

Ayden was happy to wake up and hear that the Cats had won the tournament last night...

UK Rocks!! :)
I don't have a lot of pictures from today because I was a busy bee!  Since we went to bed so late last night, Ayden and I slept in until about 8:00am.  I was so glad that he seemed to need a little extra sleep too.  I made it through the day without a nap and feel relatively good as I type this so it must have been a decent amount of sleep...

I spent the day whipping our house back into shape.  I just want to get to a place where I can just keep it up but exhaustion always wins out and I end up falling behind again and again.  I know that it will continue to get easier as time goes on but it doesn't make it any less stressful...

Ayden missed his morning nap (probably because we slept so late and he wasn't anywhere near our typical schedule  from the start.  I spent the entire morning trying to get him to go down for his nap then gave up and put him in his swing while I showered.  That usually puts him to sleep for at least a little while but he was wide eyed and batting at his toys the whole time.  I would stick my head out and talk to him every few minutes.  He's gotten to where he'll immediately try to find the source of the sounds that he hears.  Every time he heard me he'd become very still and look right at me and give me a little smirk.  It was so cute :).  He did it with the vacuum last night too.  David had him propped up on his legs (our favorite way to play with him at the moment) and when I started the vacuum Ayden immediately looked over at it and stared for a while.  It's just so neat seeing all of these milestones develop!

After my shower, I read him his favorite book: Brown Bear, Brown Bear then put him on his play mat while I fixed my hair and makeup.  His play mat has music and lights that come on when he hits/pulls a toy hard enough.  Today was the first day that he really seemed to notice the lights.
He was mesmerized!
Once I was ready, I had lunch then fed Ayden again and put him right into the Moby.  For the next 2 and a half hours I tackled all of the waiting chores.  Loads and loads of laundry that had been washed and have been waiting to be put away for weeks, ironing David's work shirts, the dishes (which is always a given...), and a load of diaper laundry.  I also had to change our sheets because Ayden had his first overnight leak.  If we've had a rough night, I usually pull him into bed with me for his 5:00am(ish) feeding.  Since we slept in together, he was in our bed long enough to wet our sheets a little. We use BumGenius 4.0's at night and I suppose it's time to move up from the newborn to the one size inserts (plus the usual hemp doubler) at night.  He's a growing boy!

Once I got the house in order, I fed him again then headed to the grocery to pick up a few items that Whole Foods didn't have during our weekly grocery run.  I wore him in the sling since he usually becomes impatient if he's in his car seat in the cart for too long.  

Looking for canned tomatoes...

I still can't get over how people are so amazed and interested when they see me baby wearing.  My Moby is always a conversation starter and the sling is no different.  I had one lady stop me and ask if it worked because she nannied and uses a Bjorn but finds it uncomfortable and is looking for other options.  Another lady stopped me and said she used to use one with her babies and loved it.  She asked how old he was and when I told her 2 months she was surprised and told me I look great which made my day!  She then went on to tell me that she "gained 27 pounds with her daughter and the weight just seemed to fall off without any effort."  Then she added that it's good to gain the recommended amount because it makes it so much easier to lose afterward.  I told her that that's how it had been for me and that I also thought breastfeeding and a healthy diet were helping a lot.

It's so funny that my little $14 Seven pocket sling gave me the opportunity to connect with two new people today.  

When I got home, David played some guitar for Ayden and then made Asian ground beef, mushroom and broccoli slaw lettuce wraps for dinner (YUM!).

What seems to be your biggest baby/child related conversation starter?

~Sarah


1 comment:

  1. Let me just start by saying that I love your blog. It has been fun following another mother as she begins her journey. To answer your question, the biggest conversation starter I got and still get is that I have twins. My kids are now 15 months old and we still can't go to a grocery store (or anywhere for that matter) without people coming up to see them or ask questions. They are b/g fraternal twins so obviously not identical looking. It is a blessing as well as a curse because some days I just don't feel like interacting.

    ReplyDelete