Sunday, March 11, 2012

Family Fun


What a great Sunday! The weather was absolutely perfect.

We woke up early and Ayden and I did some housework (with help from our friend, Moby) while David did some yard work.  After that was all said and done, we headed to the grocery then came home to watch the CATS play in the SEC tournament (David and I both graduated from the University of Kentucky).  While the game was on, I worked on prepping some snack foods for the week (kale chips, carrot chips, celery sticks, etc.).  The CATS ended up having their second loss of the season but next, we are on to the NCAA tournament and things look pretty promising for our alma mater! After the game, we headed to our hometown, which is about 20 minutes away, to spend time with our parents.

David and I are very fortunate to have both sets of our parents live within six minutes of each other.  We are even more fortunate that they have grown to be friends over the course of our relationship so we all get together relatively often.  It's nice to be able to let Ayden visit with both sets of grandparents at once :).

Since Ayden was born, we've had a couple of hot tub dates at David's parents house while they held him and today we had a bike riding date on my parents farm while my mom took care of him.

Last March, we purchased some nice mountain bikes and started riding together. We were really enjoying sharing a common hobby.  David was even teaching me a few tricks and we made it to a couple of trails. It was so much fun!  It was so fun, in fact, that it was the perfect distraction that I needed to finally conceive.  We found out we were pregnant about a month and a half after we got the bikes.  I still rode a little in our neighborhood early in my pregnancy; but as my belly grew it started to get in the way of my knees when I pedaled and I was a little worried about wrecking...  Needless to say, it's been a while since I've really ridden my mountain bike and it was so nice to get back on!  A farm isn't quite the same as mountain bike trails but it was a great place to become reacquainted.  I'm not ready to leave Ayden for an extended amount of time yet and to be honest, I don't think 6 week old babies should be apart from their mothers for too long either, so for now we'll take whatever kinds of dates we can get! After riding out there in the fresh air and sunshine with a beautiful view of rolling Kentucky farm land we felt invigorated!  

After our bike ride, we went in and got Ayden and the three of us sat on my parents' screened in back porch and had a snack while we read a little of The Hunger Games to each other.  Then David's parents joined us all for dinner.  We had grilled pork chops, sweet potatoes, asparagus and salad.  It was delicious! Ayden was in a good mood the whole time and it was just a great visit all around.

If I could sum up a perfect weekend day, today would be it!


Did you have anything that you had to give up during pregnancy?  How did you feel when you got to pick it up again?

~Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment